In times of sunshine, sunscreen is your best friend, protecting you from those harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. We’re sharing our favourite natural sunscreens so you don’t have to compromise with conventional ingredients.
Why we Prefer Natural to Conventional
- Physical UV Barrier – Natural Sunscreen blocks UV rays with a physical barrier with minerals such as Titanium and Zinc which act as a barrier to the skin. Conventional sunscreens neutralise UV rays through a chemical reaction on the skin.
- No Hormone Disruption – Conventional sunscreens contain chemical man-made ingredients which disrupt endocrine activity, mimicking hormones such as oestrogen and testosterone.
- Less risk of irritation – For most people, natural sunscreen doesn’t cause irritation to the skin, whereas convention sunscreens contain chemicals such as Oxybenzone which is known to cause skin reactions.
These are your friends! Ingredients to look for:
Zinc Oxide – A powdered mineral that sits on top of the skin, scattering, reflecting, and absorbing UVA & UVB rays. It tends to be paired with a UVB protecting ingredient for a broader sunscreen range. Zinc also has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Titanium Dioxide – Another useful mineral which provides barrier UVB ray protection. It protects from UV rays without being absorbed into the skin.
Natural sunscreens may also include natural skin enhancing ingredients such as:
Avocado Oil – soothes and protects the skin.
Vitamin E – fights off free radicals and prevents sun damage. This can often be found in Tocopheryl Acetate, which is a natural source of Vitamin E, free from parabens.
Aloe Vera – soothing and supports the growth of new skin cells. A natural soothing balm for after sun care too.
Ingredients we avoid:
Oxybenzone – Has oestrogenic properties which disrupt the endocrine system in the body. It is also known to cause skin reactions.
Octyl-methoxycinnamate (OMC) – Also has oestrogenic properties which disrupt the endocrine system in the body. For some people, it is also an allergen.
Homosalate (HMS) – Also disrupts hormones, specifically oestrogen, androgen and progesterone.
Our favourite sunscreens:
- The Organic Pharmacy Cellular Protection sunscreen, £38.50 at The Organic Pharmacy
- John Masters Organics Natural Mineral Sunscreen, £28.50 at Planet Organic
- Jason Mineral Sunblock SPF30, £13.99 (Currently on sale at £11.19) at Ocado
- Hurraw Sun Protection Balm, £4.49 at Planet Organic